Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Half and Half


An old homeless man came up to me and asked me for change. I took my headphones off, gave him a buck, and went back to my own business. He stood there all wrinkled faced, wearing a blue corduroy jacket, and reeking of urine. He sat down right next to me and started talk about bands of the 60's and then went on talking about minimalism. I just listened, hardly giving a shit. The conversation turned again and he started talking about street corners around town and where I could score cocaine if I wanted to. He started moving closer to me, staring into my eyes and at my half eaten chicken sandwich. I looked away from him and started taking deep breaths. I gave him short replies and tried to be kind. Now I could taste his stench and was losing it. He put his hand on my sandwich, picked it up, looked at me and asked, "Do you mind?" Did I mind? Poor dude. This guy had some balls. If course I didn't mind. He looked hungrier then me and probably had half the set of teeth I did. After this smooth move all kindness went out the window. I put on my headphones and told him that I had work that needed to be done. What a score. The man came up on a buck and half of a sandwich. I had my music and was still hungry.





No comments:

Post a Comment